[Geysers] Norris May 7

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat May 7 16:21:20 PDT 2005

I was down at Old Faithful for a while this morning but Grand was about all
I "saw" as a massive steam cloud. Cold rain pretty much all day, a bit of snow
 mixed in at times. I did talk a bit to Mike Keller and he says that the odd
Grotto-Giant behavior we saw (and I described) the other day sounds similar
to  what he's seen following consecutive Grotto marathons.

Then there was today's bear. After the bear (a griz) made its journey
through virtually all parts of the Upper Basin (starting behind the Lodge and
finally affording me some pretty good photos near Biscuit Basin), I headed for
Norris. I went there because of reports about Vixen being active. What I found
makes me wonder about what might be going on in the Back Basin -- I don't think
 it's a disturbance, but something:

Echinus -- I was over by Steamboat when I heard it splashing, so I zipped
over. What I found was a bunch of people leaving. From the one person who stayed
 I learned that he'd been there for about 1 1/2 hours and what I'd heard was
the  third episode of two or three bursts 8 or 10 feet high during that  time.
The pool was about 6 inches below overflow. The water level hadn't  changed.
I suppose Echinus finally erupted sometime, but not within the next  hour.

Veteran -- I do not recall ever seeing Veteran with anything other than
clear water. Today it was richly opalescent blue with colloidal silica AND
appeared to be in perpetual eruption, jetting outward from the top vent never
farther than 10 feet or so. Here's a photo:

Corporal -- About as ugly as it can be, a dark gray color to the formation
and the water. But erupting quite strongly -- I saw a burst of over 2 feet --
and pouring out enough water to flow all the way to, under, and past the new
boardwalk at the trail junction and even (though I didn't see this, the gray
runoff channel is there) on to Tantalus Creek.

Vixen -- Active, as was reported yesterday by Steve Eide. Interval are 3 to
8 minutes, durations 20 to 30 seconds. Some jets reach up 10 feet or so though
 most bursts are much smaller. Some eruptions must be considerably stronger
than  those I saw, as none of mile formed a pool beyond the sinter "cone", but
there  was a good-sized pool there when I arrived.

Pearl -- eruping violently from a slightly low level. The flat part of its
formation inside the outer rim is an odd peachy-pink color.

Porkchop -- opalescent blue, bursting up to 3 feet.

Monarch -- still doing something intermittent. The clay deposits I  described
two weeks ago are now yellow-green with sulfur, the pool is a  beautiful
green. On arrival there was only slight bubbling and the clay was  exposed.
Gradually the bubbling increased. Boiling ensued (the nature of the  bubbles tells
me it was probably superheated) and some surges/splashes reached 2  to 3 feet
high. The water level rose and covered the clay. And then it calmed  down. I
think this is all the thing does, but at least it is something.

Perhaps going along with some sort of disturbance/zap/upset, I watched
Steamboat for about 5 minutes (before hastening toward Echinus) and saw almost
nothing except rather weak North Vent spray.