[Geysers] Virtual field trip input

Karen Webb caros at aros.net
Sat May 7 13:14:34 PDT 2005

 From Karen Webb
 I had written to compliment the authors of that virtual field trip and
to offer input.  The author, Sally Plumb, came back with this.  If any
of you have stories you'd like to contribute, she can be reached at
Sally_Plumb at nps.gov
Karen

I'm under a stiff deadline to write a new script about life in the
hydrothermal areas--I've chosen to spotlight bison since so far we have no
eTrips at all published on one of my favorite critters and they are
something many people associate with Yellowstone. So, this particular bison
hangs around the hydrothermals and as they observe it, the script
characters also observe all sorts of other life (everything from microbes
to birds to elk) also using these areas. Why? Dangers? Advantages? Anyway,
it's obvious from your comments that you know and love the geyser basins
here. I was wondering if you have observed or heard of interesting wildlife
stories during your time in these sites. I sort-of know about the bison
that fell into Scalloped last winter--but can you give me the actual
details? Have you seen any predator/prey interactions? I was talking with
Rick Wallen, the bison biologist here, and he said that often these areas
are the site of such interactions--especially in the winter because these
areas are also natural "traps"--If cornered, the prey can run only so far,
until they get to the edge of the hydrothermal site, into deep snow or
rivers, or other natural barriers and the chase is up! Interesting!

I would really value your input if you're able to share any stories with me
that could be incorporated  into one of these eTrips----cheers, Sally