[Geysers] Domuyo, Argentina

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Mar 31 15:20:01 PST 2005

In the last few weeks I have gained new information about a number of the
world's geyser areas -- funny how it always seems to come in bursts. For this
one, I must again thank Alan Glennon for putting me on the track of this place --
another new (to me/us) geyser field. It is at Volcan Domuyo, in Neuquen
Territory (northern Patagonia), Argentina. I have discovered that:
-- at Villa Aguas Calientes there are geysers (probably at least five) that
play up to 2 meters. This is on the road where cabins are available (no
facilities and no electricity, but shelter for 1 to 8 people at a flat rate of $70
per night);
-- at Los Olletas which is somewhere nearby, there are geysers that erupt as
high as 1 meter;
-- at El Humazo some 3 miles northeast of Villa Aguas Calientes is an
extensive area of "fumaroles and boiling springs" with water that is only slightly
acid to neutral. No geyser was actually described;
-- at La Bramadora about 6 miles beyond El Humazo is at least one (probably
several) large fumaroles.

The photo here is definitely at Domuyo and, judging by another photo's
background, probably at Aguas Calientes.