[Geysers] Avis commercial

Ralph Taylor ralpht at iglou.com
Mon Mar 28 19:07:26 PST 2005

I can indeed attest to it.

Once I was cleaning on Geyser Hill near Pump Geyser when a family came by.
The parents took special pains to point out that the nice volunteer is
picking up litter and "we have to be careful not to litter".

Very nice, I think to myself.  Then, moments later, I hear a distinct "plop"
of something splashing into Doublet Pool.  Yup, same family.  Same kid, same
parents watching proudly as junior tosses another rock.

I ran up the boardwalk to them (which I suppose was fairly amusing in
itself) and had a brief discussion about the damage that rocks cause, etc.
I was being calm and understanding because of their previous talk.  Anyway,
they promised to be careful not to abuse the geysers any more.

I noticed one of the seasonal Interpreters (I don't recall who, it was a few
years ago) and radioed to her to have a word with the family and keep an eye
on them (you never know...).

So, the next thing the family knows they are stopped by a ranger with a flat
hat and given another lecture on proper decorum in Yellowstone.

They walked on for a bit, and I noticed a young seasonal Law Enforcement
ranger, who I knew was quite keen on resource protection, coming around
Geyser Hill.  He had heard my conversation on the radio and decided to
intervene. The next thing the visitors knew they were stopped again, this
time by a Ranger with a gun, and given yet another lecture.

By this time I was beginning to feel sorry for the visitors!

Anyway, sometimes we manage to get the point across, sometimes to excess!

Other times, as Mike said, things don't go so well.

Ralph Taylor