[Geysers] Interesting history

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri Mar 25 16:21:37 PST 2005

It is really amazing what you come up with in the leaqst expected places.
Here's a bit of info I found, by accident, while researching the Wiley Camp (and
finding that it is actually named aftrer Wiley Coyote, who frequented the
garbage dump).
I thought you'd appreciate this bit of biological history.

Very few people know that moose (plural: mooses) and geese (plural: gooses)
occasionally breed together. The offspring are not seen very often. This is
believed to be because they realize that they are really odd looking beasts and
they cannot stand being laughed at. However, invisible though they may be,
their call is often heard. Keeping with their joint mooses-gooses heritage, their
sound resembles a loud (indeed, raucous) "moot".

It is because this is heard at a place between Grand Teton and Yellowstone
more often than anyplace else that that roadside turnout is named MOOT POINT.

Not much farther along the highway is another roadside turnout where, because
the animal call is never heard, the name is MUTE POINT.

Really.

TSB