[Geysers] Geyser report June 15 to 17

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri Jun 17 14:05:31 PDT 2005

I added a bit of info from the logbook for Wednesday, 6/15, everything of
"importance" from Thursday, 6/16, when I was not in the park, and then today,
6/17 up to about 1300.

The biggest news is that Fan and Mortar erupted yesterday afternoon at 1339
(daylight ! ). That interval must have been considerably less than 3 days. I
was  told that Fan was in lock and that the eruption was triggered by a second
strong  surge in Upper Mortar. I was also told that peoples' impression was
that Mortar  was rather weak and became very steamy quite early in the
eruption... Today,  starting at about 0750, I found F&M undergoing an event cycle that
included  Main Vent splashing over the top and into East Vent, and Bottom Vent
having  eruptions with durations of only 30 seconds or less but strong enough
to put a  considerable flow of water to the river. There was a River Vent
pause, followed  by weaker Main Vent splashing but better Bottom Vent stuff, and
then a  continuation of the cycle that never looked very good.

Second big news is that Plume woke up yesterday, 6/16 -- so, a 14 day
dormancy. The first observed eruption was at 0941. That was followed by observed
intervals (believed to have been single intervals) of 3h 18m and 3h 13m. Today
up to my departure there were four observed eruptions with intervals of 1h
33m,  1h 18m, and 2h 20m (this one possibly a double interval).

Beehive's last two intervals were 22h 42m (14m Indicator) and 21h 23m (13m
Indicator), today's occurring with Little Squirt active.

The most recent seven intervals by Grand were 7h 11m, 6h 45m, 7h 32m, 6h  48m
(T1Q), 9h 03m, 8h 37m, and 7h 16m (G2C).

Daisy today managed an interval of 2h 10m on a day sometimes _very_  windy.

Grotto was in marathon, a long one that started well before dark yesterday
(I got no time) and was continuing at 1230 today. Variable Spring was about as
far down as I've ever seen it.

Down valley, Great Fountain yesterday had an interval of 14h 02m, then
overnight was 11h 45m.

And Fountain was seen this morning at 0806, apparently perfectly normal. As
I was driving home, viewed from the road, it was in eruption at 1324 but
looking  back as I drove across the flats I saw no big bursts. Meaning that it
_might_  have been in wild phase. Or not.