[Geysers] Heart Lake

William Moats gemstone at flash.net
Mon Jun 13 20:21:43 PDT 2005

Karen,

You must go a short distance further from the Upper Group and at least hike
to the Fissure Group to be worth the effort.  The hike to the Fissure Group
is about 5 miles one way.

Given your knee problem, I would recommend staying on the trail until you
are adjacent to the Fissure Group, then cut cross-country to the hot
springs, thus avoiding most of the steep slopes. You can easily see the
Fissure Group from the trail.  The trail switchbacks up/down the mountain,
so the trail is only moderately steep.  It is much less steep than the trail
up to Monument Geyser Basin.

As for taking an 8-year old child, it depends on the kid.  My son did an
overnight hike to Shoshone Geyser Basin when he was 7 years old.  He did the
Fissure Group at 8 years old. My daughter climbed Handies Peak, a 14,000
feet peak in Colorado when she was 6 years old.  I've also seen kids that
can't walk a mile.  I recommend taking your child on some practice hikes (or
walks), and see how much distance he/she can comfortably handle.  If they
can easily hike 5 miles, then they should do OK.  Just be sure and rest
about 10 minutes every hour of hiking, and take plenty of water to drink.

Once at the Fissure Group, you can hike upstream on Witch Creek to the Upper
Group, a distance of only a few hundred yards.  Your child can do this
easily going in from this way.

Finally, I hope you have someone else to go with you to make a bigger group
of hikers.  Else, make lots of noise going in (take a whistle and blow on it
often).  Also, don't forget your bear spray no matter your group size.

--Will