[Geysers] Sea Green Pool

Mario Durrant yellowstone17 at bridgernet.com
Sun Jul 31 17:32:55 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeffrey Cross <jacross at lamar.ColoState.EDU>
To: <geysers at wwc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 1:27 PM
Subject: [Geysers] Shoshone 17 July

> Extremely low water was also noted in White Hot Spring, Sea Green Pool,
and the UNNG
> trumpet-shaped vent nearby, which has turned into a fumarole.  >

I agree, having been to Shoshone GB on July 16-- I got out my pictures from
2 years ago and started studying them however, to compare the water levels
in Sea Green Pool from 2003 and 2005.  I had to zoom in and closely examine
the pictures in order to compare apples to apples, but the possible good
news is that it does look to me like the 2005 picture shows slightly higher
water levels that the 2003 picture.... just mere inches of difference.  I
have attached both pictures in hoping that someone might be able to confirm
or deny, but in reducing the size of the images, some of the detail I can
see on my computer screen has been lost in magnification.  In the 2003
picture, the upper right corner of the actual pool corresponds to the upper
left corner of the water level in the 2005 picture.  There is some rust
coloration on the roundish formations in the more recent image that do not
appear to be present on the same formations from the 2003 pictures.

Sea Green pool has not appeared to fluctuate in its water levels over the
several minutes' observation I have dedicated to it on several occasions,
but might it fluctuate over hours or days?  Pictures taken the previous day
on this year's backpacking trip (July 15) seem to show even higher water
levels than on the 16th, but the west side of the pool was casting a shadow
over the water surface on this day and the formations from pictures taken at
that time are impossible to discern clearly.  If the pool does fluctuate
over hours or days, then all of this information may be of no great value,
but is probably worth noting anyway.

In other news, on the way out of Shoshone, we walked up to a major Lone Star
eruption, and then hiked the little way to find Buried geyser.  We sat and
watched four eruptions, all of which seemed to be intermediates.  All
eruption durations (timed from first overflow to end of overflow into the
runoff channel) ranged from 2 minutes 35 seconds to 3 minutes 5 seconds and
all intervals (timed from end of end of overflow to beginning of overflow)
ranged from 5-7 minutes.

I also wish to thank Matthew McLean for directions and the downloaded
picture 2 years ago to the hot spring with the complete bison skeleton in
it.  If I hadn't seen your picture we would never have found it this year as
it looks like a pile of algae-covered rocks from every angle except directly
facing it.  I recognized the thermal feature from your picture but it still
took a bit of searching around the pool to locate the skeleton.  For the
record, the skeleton sits on the shallow ledge on the west(ish) side of the
hot spring called Great Crater.  Great Crater is the very large spring to
the east of Boiling Cauldron.  Finding the poor deceased animal remains was
the highlight of the trip for my 10 year old son.

Mario Durrant