[Geysers] Geyser Report: Fan & Mortar details, 7/29

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 30 19:05:50 PDT 2005

A message from Tara Cross <fanandmortar at hotmail.com>

As promised, I am posting the details of the pre-eruptive activity for the
July 29 eruption of Fan and Mortar.

Fan & Mortar were observed for approximately 24 hours before the eruption.
During that time, observers saw mostly garbage cycles with a lot of
continuous splashing from Angle.  There were several lame event cycles,
which included at maximum 20 minutes of splashing in Main Vent and up to one
River Vent pause.

Paul Strasser observed some odd behavior around 2000 on the 28th.  The minor
vents shut off after a normal cycle, and Angle Vent continued to splash
after River was off.  Then, Main Vent had a single splash.  The vents were
then off for about 30 minutes before starting a normal cycle.  One cycle
later, there was an event cycle including one River Vent pause and Main Vent
splashing, starting around 2130.

After this there were two more weak event cycles:  About 10 minutes of Main
Vent splashing during a normal River Vent off period just after midnight and
20 minutes of Main Vent splashing along with a 3-minute River Vent pause
around 0200.  After this event cycle Kitt took over duties at F&M and saw
normal cycles with occasional splashing from Angle for over 3 hours.

After this events took place as follows:

0538 Everything shuts off, including Angle
0540 Main Vent begins to roar
1546 Main Vent begins to splash, starting slow and then building to more
consistent splashing
0604 River Vent on
0611 River Vent off (River pause)
0617 River Vent on
0626 River Vent off (River pause; double pause)
0636 Main Vent has a huge splash, after minutes of near-constant splashing
0637 River Vent on
0644 River Vent off (River pause; triple pause)
0650 River Vent on
0658 River Vent off (River pause; QUADRUPLE pause)
0703 River Vent on
0708 Angle on, then Gold on about 10 seconds later
0718 High Vent builds into lock
0727 FAN AND MORTAR

The water levels were excellent as soon as Gold started.  We were pretty
skeptical after the quadruple pause (which, by the way, was the first I had
ever seen; I know Scott reported one earlier), but the water levels just
continued to look great until High Vent rather quickly built into a lock.
After a few minutes, Gold Vent joined in the lock and Angle went into steam
phase.  There were at least two splashes in Main Vent during the lock, and
then it had some very large splashes/surges immediately prior to the start
of the eruption.  Then East Vent bursted up and Main Vent pooled before
rising up along with Upper and Lower Mortar.

The eruption was Fan-dominated; Mortar was quiet for the first 2 minutes of
the eruption.  Main Vent had several surges that sent water past the bumper
log at Backwater Spring, even though the wind was blowing primarily away
from the trail.  The viewing was quite good in terms of wind direction but
the lighting was poor due to cloud cover.  The clouds did bring us a
gorgeous double rainbow as the sun rose during the event cycle, however.

Since I have been watching Fan & Mortar, I only know of one other reported
quadruple pause--one reported earlier this year by T. Scott Bryan.  However
this event cycle was very strong from the beginning and Main Vent splashing
persisted throughout until River Vent started the final time.  After giving
us less than 10 minutes for the previous eruption, we got 101 minutes.  Go
figure.

Just to summarize, pauses lasetd 6, 11, 6, and 5 minutes; Main Vent
splashing started 101 minutes before the start of the eruption; lock lasted
9 minutes; and the eruption began 24 minutes after the start of River.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com