[Geysers] Sput comments

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Fri Jul 1 18:37:35 PDT 2005

To clarify-"a few hours after Grand" was always before Grand had refilled.
Sometimes it was during Vent and Turban, other times it was after they quit
their long eruption post Grand, but it was always after Grand.  I am not
saying it does this all the time, just the time I have seen it.

As for Key versus Shoe, I saw Key erupt in 1988.  The first eruption went
over the trail at an angle and reached about 10 feet.  It was muddy, chunky,
and stank.  The next few eruptions reached from 1-4 feet, each coming about
an hour apart, and steadily got smaller and smaller.  Both the upper and
lower vent erupted.  Key is the double vented feature about halfway between
Economic and "Topsoil".  Shoe is the small depression closer to the hillside
than the trail.  There is a third vent sometimes with water in it between
Key and "Topsoil" that I have never seen erupt.

MK