[Geysers] Norris 1/27

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Sun Jan 30 13:39:23 PST 2005

I spent a couple of hours at Norris on 1/27.

Steamboat didn't look very impressive.  There was lots of play reaching 5-20
feet from the South Vent, but very little from the North Vent, and very
little overflow.

Guardian Geyser was in steady, heavy steam phase every time I went by it.
There is a nice ice ring around the alcove.  There was no evidence that
Valentine or Ledge were active.

I saw Constant, Big Whirligig, and Fireball, but didn't get any closed
intervals.

Vixen played 3 times in 20 minutes.

Veteran had some nice surges, but did not erupt during the 30 minutes I was
there.

Monarch appears to be having periods of heavy overflow/boiling like it had
in the mid 1990's.

Forgotten Fumarole had snow in its basin.

MK