[Geysers] OF Visitor Education Center

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Sat Jan 29 17:47:51 PST 2005

Tom Kearney wrote, in response to a query of mine:

<<The law enforcement rangers at OF have been calling it the "geyser flush"
for at least the 10 summers that I've been working in YNP.>>>

Oh, I've heard visitors and their actions called even ruder names. I'm just
stunned that this term got through the vetting of the document.

Have you ever seen the "unofficial visitor center logbook" that was kept
behind the desk in the mid to late 70s and beyond?  This is where
naturalists and other NPS people placed their, uh, thoughts about many
things.  Sometimes cute, sometimes rather "unkind" of certain
nationalities...

But the NPS wouldn't put this stuff into a public document.

Yet they did include the term "geyser flush."

Clearly, people who spend a lot of time in the park may have some rather
rude terms for some visitors.  It's just weird to see the g.f. term in an
official document.  There is no way this can be construed as a complimentary
or neutral term, that's all.

I'm just as guilty as the next person of thinking rude terms to describe
some visitors (and their actions).  But I wouldn't use them in public - even
here.  The thing is - the OFVEC EA is an incredibly public document.

Paul Strasser