[Geysers] Re: Grand geyser sillyness

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Tue Jan 25 22:30:57 PST 2005

Scott:

Difference between T and C:  At least in one year (no, I don't remember the
year -1984? '85? Whatever) Heinrich had put all of his geyser data into his
Mac.  Suzanne and I were at his place in Cupertino fiddling around with a
statistics program, where we could instantly compare bursts to time of day.
that sort of thing.  Some things had obvious correlations, like first burst
length to number of bursts.  Others didn't.  On a whim, I told H that I
always thought that Turban initiated eruptions had more bursts than Grand
initiated eruptions.   So he shrugged and compared those variables.  Lo and
behold.  Statistically significant difference.

Has this been done since?  I don't know.  I don't care.

(And there was no statistically significant relationship between duration
and the following interval.)

C vs. Q.  The only interesting thing about this statistic is that over time,
the average length of a C eruption has diminished substantially.   But the
average duration of both has decreased substantially.  For instance, the
average duration in 1978 was 12 min 29 sec.

And long eruptions that are C are - as you indicated - the source of
afterbursts.

The significance of afterbursts?  They're cool.  Other than that, I don't
know.  Heck.  You can say the same thing about gazing in general.

(I'm baffled that anyone would be ticked at Scott for his bit of levity.
Jeez - I wonder what people think of some of my stuff.  Please - don't
answer that.)

Paul Strasser

  _____