[Geysers] Re: Geysersite at Smithsonian

MA Bellingham mabell126 at bresnan.net
Tue Jan 25 19:39:34 PST 2005

Here's a repeat without the mixed up margins.. Sorry.

From: MA Bellingham [mailto:mabell126 at bresnan.net]

>From my research I never felt it was from Vixen, but up Geyser Creek  "to
the foot of the bluffs beyond the Paint-Pots".

            Here's what I have in my notes that "could" be it..

>From PW Norris' "Calumet of the Coteau"  (1883) (p 250)

"From this place we ran a wagon as far as possible with animals,

then with men, towards the famous Geyser cone, now in the National Museum in
Washington, which was nearly two miles,

            by a circuitous route, to the foot of the bluffs beyond the
Paint-Pots.

There it required a blacksmith frequently sharpening tools, a man to assist
in drilling and chiselling,

and another to carry and throw cold water upon them to prevent parboiling in
the hot steam and jets from

its seventeen fine pulsating cones or orifices for nearly a week, and then
twenty men to carry it amid the bottomless

boiling chaldrons to the wagon, and thence it was conveyed safely to
Washington, although weighing nearly half a ton."

I just found out tonight I have a commitment in Cody on April 24.

Oh, if the East Entrance road would be open on opening weekend..

MA

M.A. Bellingham