[Geysers] Geyser Report 1/15/05

Ralph Taylor ralpht at iglou.com
Tue Jan 18 10:56:48 PST 2005

A message from Ralph Taylor <ralpht at iglou.com> 18 Jan 2005

Lucille Reilly asked about the key for the geyser notations used to describe
Grand Geyser eruptions in geyser reports.

I'm not Mike either, but here is the definition for the terms used in geyser
data in the Old Faithful Visitor Center log, as shown in the listing of the
geyser logbook transcriptions placed on the GOSA website by Lynn Stephens.
This is the key that is also placed in the actual logbook at the Visitor
Center.

The logbook data for 2004 has not been placed on the website as we are still
without a webmaster.

Anyway, here is the key:

Geyser Log abbreviations
ie      in eruption (wasn't observed at start)
d       duration
I       interval
h       height
3h45m15s        "3 hours, 45 minutes, 15 seconds (for instance)"
>       greater than
<       less than
ns      "near start (the top of a steam column is observed still
        rising--when in  doubt, ie is used)"
ini     "initial-used for Lion, for instance"
MJR     major
min     minor
ind     indicator-used for Beehive
vr      "Visitor Report-it can be logged, (a reliable report) but
	  the time might not be accurate"
B       "bursts as in Grand or Plume, recorded for instance as 3B"
of      overflow
p       "pause, time between 1 meter boil and burst from Great Fountain"

Grand Eruption Codes:

Interval type    Dn      Grand erupted n Turbans after long interval
                 D0      Grand erupted on long Turban interval

                 N       No long Turban interval observed

Starting Geyser  T       Turban
                 G       Grand
Bursts           n       n bursts
                 n+m     n bursts plus m afterbursts

                 *       long 2nd burst (d>1m15s)

                 #       long 3rd burst (d>1m15s)

Vent & Turban after
                 C       Continue
                 Q       Quit

I'll let Mike comment on Giant hot periods.

Ralph