[Geysers] (no subject)

carolyn loren caroloren98 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 8 13:03:08 PST 2005

I can't seem to receive postings, but hope I can post at least...

If you look at the park forecast, we've already gotten today's snow, plus
tonight's, tomorrow's and then some.  I just walked out to peer and listen
to Old Faithful to predict it, and this was afternoon already.  Earlier it
took 2 1/2 hours to break trail to Grand, Riverside and back via Daisy.
When we passed by Castle on the way back (Kristine Maloney is volunteering,
unless she changes her mind after today...) we could just see a dimple where
we'd broken a trail an hour before.  Guess it's winter in Yellowstone.

Plume is still active, about 45 minutes apart, 2 skiers got to see Grand
today (Jan. 8) around 1133.  Of 2 bison hunkered down in the trees by Grotto
(post-marathon maybe), one was only visible because one horn wasn't
completely snow-covered.

We saw Beehive yesterday and I think have just one closed interval of about
15 hours.  Little Squirt was active yesterday.  And to answer your question
Kitt, you could have gotten by without snowshoes to Artemisia yesterday, but
not any more...

Carolyn, OFVC