[Geysers] Geysers in Peru

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Feb 22 13:13:22 PST 2005

I noted the other day some new info about geysers in Peru. I queried the two
authors on the 2002 paper (which was about potentially establishing "Natural
Monuments" at some of these places -- I have no further info on that). Today I
received a reply (in Spanish) from Bilberto Zavala C. In the following, I
shall use his terminology (translated).

Candarave-Calientes, Tacna -- Three of the 44 springs are geysers. No
frequency was stated, but the eruptions are just 1 to 2 feet high. Per a photo (which
I did not post), one and probably all of these are the intermittently
boiling, "bubble-shower" type of geyser.

Quebrada Ancocollo, Tacna -- I've never heard of this place, a small cluster
of 16 springs deep with the Quebrada (Gorge) Ancocollo, on Rio Ancocolla. Four
of the springs are said to splash intermittently. No other info was given.

Puente Bello, Moquegua -- (In my book, I have this as in the Departmento
Puno, but evidently it is just over a pass into Moquegua.) There are three
"principle springs" that are "without permanent boiling." Read that as you will. No
other specific spring data was given. I posted a photo of the geyser in front
of the cavern the other day. In my book from previous info, I had the deposits
here as travertine (and that apparently is a limestone cavern), but Zavala
states the deposit to be siliceous sinter.

Calacoa (Carumas), Moquegua -- Confirmed as it is in my book, with unstated
numbers of geysers at Sicolaque, Sayasayani and Putina. Three other thermal
groups contain boiling springs (and spouters?) but no intermittent geysers.

Ulucan, Moquegua -- I've had knowledge of this place before but could not
confirm geysers due to water temperatures of only about 160F (which is fully 25F
below local boiling). Sure enough -- five gas-powered perpetual spouters plus
quiet intermittent "Los Meaderos," which evidently is a large pool. Given that
Zavala notes the eruptions as "permanent" tells me that he does know what a
true geyser is.

Valle de Colca, Arequipa -- I was not aware of this locality prior to these
current investigations. Deep within this canyon, on or near a tourist hiking
track, is a single geyser. I found a reference to it in a travel book (Lonely
Planet), which states that the once-impressive geyser is much weaker since an
earthquake (in 1999?) "contained it." Zavala lists it as a "noisy" geyser that
is visited by tourists.

Zavala also stated that he is unaware of true geysers in any of Peru's other
_500_ hot spring areas. In central Peru, Department of Ayacucho, is a place
called Pachapupo, where there are some amazingly huge siliceous sinter
"pyramids." A photo showing one is rather remarkable -- the structure is positively
huge with what appears to be unweathered terraces. The text states that there are
numerous hot springs around (but evidently not actually on)these structures.
The foreground of the photo also shows what is unduoubedly orange
cyanobacteria in areas of standing/running water and, barely in the bottom right corner of
the photos, what appears to be the edge of a nice pool with a sinter border.
But per Zavala, for all this, that place apparently has no geyser nor even a
spouter.