[Geysers] Fw: Rotorua Blowout

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Feb 21 18:50:03 PST 2005

Ashley's report about the eruption is not at all surprising
considering the history of this particular location.  For those
readers who have a copy of GOSA Transaction Volume VII a sketch of an
1894 blow-out there appears as an illustration on page 166 and a few
details are given in the text on the same page.

A rather simplistic study (commenced several years ago but
uncompleted) indicated that such blowouts would be particularly
likely on sediment flats through which geothermal fluids at boiling
temperature were being discharged.  (This is almost "obvious".)
Certainly both on the flats at the mouth of the Puarenga Stream, and
also on the old Frying Pan Flat (before 1917) such physical
conditions prevailed, and hydrothermal eruptions are (were in the
case of FPF) a characteristic feature.  It is perhaps surprising that
no historical events like this have occurred, however, on the present
"Frying Pan" area at Waiotapu, and there are no obvious remnant
features that would indicate such had occurred there in relatively
recent times.

Ron Keam

--

Ron Keam