[Geysers] Grotto by Gibson

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Feb 15 20:14:21 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/15/2005 17:36:30 PM Pacific Standard Time,
CrosCa at wwc.edu writes:
The illustration comes from F. K. Warren's CALIFORNIA ILLUSTRATED
(1892) but is based on an earlier image that appeared in John Gibson's GREAT
WATERFALLS, CATARACTS, AND GEYSERS (1887).  This image appears in
various forms in other illustrated Yellowstone books during the late
1880s and 1980s.  Both the Gibson and Warren images appear and are
discussed on page 73 in SPIRIT OF YELLOWSTONE (2003) and figures 13
and 15 (between pages 54 and 55) in SPIRIT OF YELLOWSTONE (1996).
This info, from Judy Meyer is helpful, indeed. After considerable pondering,
I concluded that I obtained the photo by scanning from a book in the West
Yellowstone library. But here is the interesting point. Mary BEth Schwarz sent a
link to an Ebay ad (a guy in England) who is selling an engraving that he says
was done by a _Frenchman_ named E. Riou in 1874. I say, 1874. I again attach a
copy (really samll and low-res) -- the similarity to the "Gibson is
remarkable but close examination shows the latter to be slightly different and, so, a
copy. So I encounter anouther curiosity.