[Geysers] Yellowstone Whispers

Steve Krause s_krause at mtco.com
Thu Feb 10 05:15:30 PST 2005

My wife had a slightly different analogy after reading the descriptions.
Perhaps it's something analagous to blowing across the lip of a bottle - a
higher altitude wind with a well defined boundary layer, and the caldera
itself forming a resonance chamber for it to "blow across". Alternately:
breezes creating a brief resonance with the surface of the Lake?

Speculation about something as evocative and unusual as this is fun! You'll
never know the answer, and somehow I think knowing the answer would take
half the enjoyment out of it. Like knowing all the details of when a geyser
is going to erupt - takes all the challenge and mystery out of it!

Steve Krause