[Geysers] Yellowstone Whispers

Janet Chapple jochapple at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 8 08:53:12 PST 2005

Hello Pat and all,

This sound you mentioned is sometimes described in the literature
before about 1920 or so as something like an electrical whine in the
sky. A number of people who were out on the lake in the early days seem
to have heard it. The phenomenon was even studied by a scientist or
two, but no source for it was found.

I've asked Lee Whittlesey if he knew of any recent reports of this, but
he didn't. I've been keeping my eye out for anything about it in more
recent literature, but no luck. Seems unlikely that it would be a
fumarole, but what it is/was is a true mystery. If anyone has heard it
in recent years, I'd sure like to know about it.
---

Pat, on another subject, I'm enjoying looking at the February pages of
my Yellowstone Association calendar with your picture of Clepsydra
there!

Cheers,
Janet Chapple
http://www.yellowstonetreasures.com