[Geysers] Yellowstone Whispers

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon Feb 7 21:22:00 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/7/2005 17:38:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,
riozafiro at earthlink.net writes:
They are described as a "...strange natural phenomenon that takes place
in the high country above Yellowstone Lake." It's a whistling sound
that can last up to 30 seconds--usually between the hours of dawn and
10 a.m. The book claims early trappers and Native Americans also knew
about it (no record of how this was documented listed).

Pat:

How nice that you brought this up, as I just days ago encountered my memo to
the NPS about my own experience... As many others know, this is the "Lake
Sound" that goes by a great many names, and has been documented very often. I
tended to disbelieve -- until I experienced it myself.

I was camped (legally) at the old patrol cabin site at Shoshone Geyser Basin
-- alone, unfortunately -- and I remember it vividly. The time was in the
evening. A ferocious thunderstorm with really scarey lightning had recently passed
by, and to the east the clouds with probably the biggest (s'cuse the thought)
pendulous mammary cloud bottoms I've ever seen were tinged with vivid
red-gold from the setting sun. That in itself was a strange sight. And while I was
standing in the North Group somewhere near Knobby Geyser, I heard it coming.
Yes, heard it _coming_ toward me. From the lake. A deep moaning sound that I can
best likened to a French horn blowing a steady low note. It was freaky, until
I realized what it was. Then it was fantastic. It honestly passed overhead and
faded into the west. And it was over too soon. Start to finish, probably
something between 5 and 10 seconds. A few minutes later it repeated, and then
again and again three or four progressively fainter times.

Most decidedly, it has nothing whatsoever to do with hot springs of any kind.
I guess it must be some kind of resonance between clouds and a broad, long
open fetch of lake. At least in "my" case.