[Geysers] Pohutu

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Dec 23 20:47:00 PST 2005

I will give a partial reply to Kory:

The activities of the New Zealand geysers are not regularly recorded.
The number of 'geyser gazers' is very small indeed and is confined to
some of the professional geothermal researchers, and even they would
probably not class themselves as such in comparison with the sorts of
investigation and detailed diarising of the activities being
conducted by observers in Yellowstone National Park.  However, Ashley
Cody has the best detailed knowledge of activities for individual
recent years and might be able to provide you with information about
1994 specifically.  Earlier than that my former PhD student, Jim
McLeod, was employed to make records for several months at
Whakarewarewa and deployed instruments for this purpose.  There were
some studies in connection with the Geothermal Monitoring programme
set up specifically to study the decline in surface activities that
resulted from the widespread take of geothermal fluid for domestic
and light industrial use in Rotorua City.  A less comprehensive
summary of activities than might appear to be the case concerning the
Rotorua geothermal system was presented in the paper by Ashley,
Katherine Luketina, and myself, published in Volume VII of the GOSA
Transactions, pages 148 - 168, in 2002.  In the early years of the
twentieth century a caretaker occupied a little hut on a promontory
overlooking Geyser Flat and he kept regular records of the activities
during the daylight hours when he was present.  (I have not actually
seen any of these myself, but I know others who have.)

What I can say is this.  Pohutu, and its directly connected Prince of
Wales Feathers geyser on the north side, and Te Horu on the south
side, certainly have related behaviours.  But the activities change
dramatically, and there is now essentially no 'standard' behaviour
that persists for years on end.  (You will see aspects of this in our
Transactions article.)

The Orakeikorako geysers also show changing patterns, and the best
account of that region is Ted Lloyd's bulletin published in 1972.  I
have never seen Orakeikorako the same twice when intervals between my
visits exceeded a few months.

I suspect that in the days before geothermal power development the
Wairakei Geyser Valley geysers might have been more regular than
those in most other New Zealand geothermal systems.

It is of course the semi-predictability, yet semi-unpredictability,
of intense geothermal systems that makes them so intriguing  And this
characteristic, combined with the unusual and diverse surface
features and deposits and the associated assemblages of unusual
vegetation types (and also the microfauna in and around the features)
makes them very attractive/ gruesome/ fascinating etc.

Note: I am using the term 'intense' to mean those systems with
geothermal fluids at shallow depths possessing temperatures greater
than boiling temperature at the ground surface.

Ron Keam

--

Ron Keam
EMail r.keam at auckland.ac.nz