[Geysers] Geyser report from New Zealand

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Dec 19 18:09:11 PST 2005

I feel I should add a comment about Lady Knox geyser at Waiotapu.

The hot spring which was turned into Lady Knox geyser is a natural
feature.  Waiotapu was the site of (I think) the first open prison in
New Zealand and the prisoners had the task (from about 1900) of
planting pine trees on the pumice plateau that extends north and east
of Lake Taupo.  This plateau at that time had a covering largely of
teatree - a smallish native scrub.  It is not that the area was
sterile and could not support other vegetation, but the fact (as we
now know) that a very large rhyolite eruption had covered the area
with pyroclastics - really an unwelded ignimbrite - about A.D. 200,
and vegetation was very slow to recolonise this.  Of course the
dating of the event was not accomplished until techniques using
radio-carbon (C14) were developed in the early nineteen fifties.  At
date 1900 all that was known was that everywhere in the region
mentioned there were the signs of some prehistoric catastrophe having
occurred, with huge carbonised logs of mature trees visible embedded
in the thick pumiceous cover.  Anyway the buried soils were there and
available for the establishment and nourishment of an exotic forest,
and the pine plantations that have resulted would do Yellowstone
National Park proud, and they do form the basis of one of New
Zealand's productive industries.  Getting back to the prisoners, I
should say that the open prison was quite popular with the inmates.
They had significant freedom to move around and were supervised by
one gaoler, Scanlan by name, and no doubt some assistants.  The
prisoners evidently used the geothermal features for their ablutions
and for cleaning their laundry.  In the course of these uses they
discovered that their soap would cause this particular feature to
erupt - perhaps the first washing machine, with the laundry being
automatically spread out onto the teatree to dry??
The idea occurred to someone that the spring should have an iron pipe
inserted into the surface pool, and this was supported by blocks of
sinter and rhyolite cemented into place. This resulted in the induced
eruptions being in the form of a vertical column - perhaps 30 metres
high at the start of an eruption.
The New Zealand Vice-Regal family visited Waiotapu in 1906 and Lady
Constance Knox, the Governor's daughter, was given the honour of
christening the geyser, and it was named the Northland geyser after
her own brother.  However, the official name did not stick, and her
own name became informally associated with the feature, and this has
always been the accepted one.
Recently, Environment Waikato, the regional body responsible for the
Waikato Region, has been considering the protection of natural
geothermal features of significance within that region.  This
includes the Waiotapu area.  We (and I say 'we' because I have
personallty been involved with this) realised that certain features
of historical interest should be protected, and, even though some of
these have been modified, something like Lady Knox geyser qualifies
as being worthy of protection in its now historically modified form.
Lady Knox geyser is a standard feature of the tourist visit to
Waiotapu, and the eruption is quite spectacular and entertains as
many as three hundred visitors at a time when it is soaped at (I
think) 1015 each morning.
So, please do not regard Lady Knox geyser as a 'fake'.  It is worth
the trouble of visiting, and some of the guides' commentaries, given
to the assembled group when soaping is about to take place, are
entertaining, factual, and informative.

Ron Keam

--

Ron Keam