[Geysers] misc geysers

Ralph Taylor ralpht at iglou.com
Wed Aug 31 21:04:16 PDT 2005

Stephen Eide wrote:

Hello all,

On 8-25 I noticed that Silex was cloudy and the near runoff channel by
the boardwalk was washed clean but still wet so I reported the
possibility of an eruption to the VC (Scott already reported this a few
days ago).  As Scott reported, his markers were gone when he checked
later so it is possible it did erupt on 8-24 or 8-25 prior to the
eruption seen by Kitt.  I also noticed the surging behavior in Silex
that Scott noted some weeks ago.  Silex would drop to a point of having
almost no overflow, then would rise up with strong boiling and have
significant overflow for a few minutes, then slowly cycle back.  I
didn't time it, but my impression was that the whole cycle took 5-15
minutes.  I did not see any water flow into the closest run off channel,
but it almost did one time.  Celestine was also boiling strongly during
this time frame, even though it still had inflow of the runoff from
Silex.

Stephen Eide

The data logger on Silex (which records at six minute intervals) showed
eruptions at 21:00 on 24 August and at 22:24 on 27 August.  There was no
indication follow-up low pool eruptions, but they often do not show up on
the temperature recorder since they generate no overflow.

The episodes of surging do show up as spikes in the temperature record.

Ralph Taylor