[Geysers] misc geysers

Stephen J. Eide seide1 at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 31 10:55:45 PDT 2005

Hello all,

I was in the park August 5 to 13 and again 24 to 27.  All the major
geysers have already been reported, so I'll just mention a few minor
things.  Oval pool continues to have little eruptions, the near right
vent erupts 1-2 feet when the system is in a low drain and the far vent
will occasionally cause the pool to fill (usually starting at about half
full) and then have a minute or so of 1-3 foot eruptions followed by a
foot or two drop in the pool when the eruption stops.

On 8-6-05 I saw Jelly have a period of boiling and overflow as I arrived
out at the Fountain system.  Spasm was not in overflow and from what I
learned later this was about an hour to an hour and a quarter after
Fountain erupted. The boiling was about six inches to maybe a foot and a
half, not splashing so I didn't think it could be called an eruption.
It did have good overflow during the boiling.  This is the strongest
activity I've seen in Jelly for years.  A visitor said Jelly had been
doing the same thing for a few minutes prior to my arrival.

We walked out to Imperial and Spray.  Spray was having intervals of
about 2 minutes with durations of about one minute, heights of about 15
feet.  Imperial was much more erratic, but in general had intervals of
about one minute, durations of about 45 seconds.  The average height was
about thirty feet, but it would throw occasional drops to fifty feet or
so.  The berrys at Fairy Falls were ripe about two weeks ago.  There is
a falcon and a hawk nesting in the clift to the left (east) of Fairy
Falls, if you wait you can see them flying in and out.

Super Frying Pan (Sizzler) is now having the majority of its eruption
from the crack in the back of the hole so the eruption has changed.  It
now reaches heights of ten feet, sometimes fifteen on the upper drops
during the high point of the eruption.  What used to be the main vent
now has only weak boiling and splashing.  It has some force, and may
push the rocks in front of the crack out sometime.

On 8-25 I noticed that Silex was cloudy and the near runoff channel by
the boardwalk was washed clean but still wet so I reported the
possibility of an eruption to the VC (Scott already reported this a few
days ago).  As Scott reported, his markers were gone when he checked
later so it is possible it did erupt on 8-24 or 8-25 prior to the
eruption seen by Kitt.  I also noticed the surging behavior in Silex
that Scott noted some weeks ago.  Silex would drop to a point of having
almost no overflow, then would rise up with strong boiling and have
significant overflow for a few minutes, then slowly cycle back.  I
didn't time it, but my impression was that the whole cycle took 5-15
minutes.  I did not see any water flow into the closest run off channel,
but it almost did one time.  Celestine was also boiling strongly during
this time frame, even though it still had inflow of the runoff from
Silex.

Stephen Eide