[Geysers] About my GPS idea

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Aug 18 06:42:59 PDT 2005

Interesting how people either feel this is a wonderful idea long overdue,  or
absolutely horrible. Let me say that at this moment, the intent is to obtain
a number of GPS locations. Most likely, the only ones put into the book will
be  basic waypoints -- trail junctions and such -- that will help people with
sufficient interest to get to the appropriate area. Under no circunstances
would  I include positions for Buried Geyser, probably none for Crater Hills
(though I listed it), and so on, and decidedly not for a Fairyland Basin, West
Pelican Geyser, etc. As for any like Minute Man, Rustic, and such things well
in  the backcountry, probably if "my" GPS led to a vandalism, that vandal
would have  at least been in the area anyway.

As for getting a hold of the NPS's GPS from the surveys a few years ago, in
which Keller was involved, well:
a) I don't know if it is nbow available or not, but even if it is,
b) I was told a year or so ago when I actually queried on this that the  data
was for in-house use, not available to the public in part because of
inaccuracy. Which I and others noted at the sime of the surveysModern GPS is now
said to be accurate within 3 meters, and that's plenty good.