[Geysers] Giantess questions

Kory Collier korycollier at msn.com
Sun Aug 14 09:27:29 PDT 2005

My 11-year-old son and I arrived at UGB in the late evening of the 12th not having heard any geyser news.  We were very interested to see Giantess erupting, rather gently, as soon as we pulled in, and we headed right over to it.  He had never seen any action from Giantess.  For about 15 minutes we enjoyed watching steamy jets whose maximum height was maybe 30-40 feet.  Very few people were on the Hill, and the sound of the eruption was majestic and peaceful, including impressively low-pitched sounds accompanied by the recurring light rush of falling water drops.  My son commented that he wished he could have a recording of it to listen to when falling asleep at night (an excellent thought which made me wish I could conjure up Steve Gryc and his recording equipment).

I became very curious to know what had happened earlier in the day:

     How high did it reach at the start of the eruption?

     How long after the start did the steam phase begin?

     How long did the steam phase last, and about when did the jetting of water begin again?

     Was this, then, what is called a mixed phase eruption?

     Was this eruption typical of Giantess eruptions in recent years?

Answers to any of these questions would be very much enjoyed.

Thanks

Kory Collier