Fw: [Geysers] OF lodge cabin NOW available 5/30-6/3

charles johnson j.charles at lycos.com
Sun Apr 10 07:33:39 PDT 2005

Tour companies routinely bool large, really realy large, blocks of rooms far in advance.  Sometimes Xantera winds up overbooked for lodging.  But, that's OK because everyone knows the tour companies won't need all those rooms, and will eventually give them back.  It's a good thing if you are a late planner and can time it right to catch some of those unneeded tour rooms.  Some location manager explained this to me when I asked about snowlodge being overbooked.  Kind of like airlines but with a less insane pricing structure.

I think they also are required to hold a certain percentage of the rooms for people who walk in with no reservations at all.  That's good for really really late planners.

Or, for really really really late planners, you could try like I have done in the past.  I wanted additional nights, so to scare away some of the current guests I talked loudly about serial killers or bears on the prowl, or impending volcanic eruptions.  I don't know for sure if that works, but I have always been able to get the front desk to find one more night after one more night.  Ask at checkout time and smile nice.

Oh, and if they rooms should be available on a truly equal basis maybe they should be free.  Ability to pay cuts back on the Yellowstone trips for some of us taxpayers.  Which reminds me, I have to pay taxes this week.  Ugh.