[Geysers] Giantess & Krakatoa

Janet Chapple jochapple at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 1 06:29:26 PST 2005

Karen---

My information says that Krakatoa erupted in 1883 but Kipling visited
UGB in 1889, so the effects of Krakatoa would have been pretty fresh in
his mind.

As to whether the eruption affected Yellowstone's geysers or not, I've
never seen anything else supporting that. Maybe your "tall tales"
theory is the most valid--along the lines of the horses' hoofs
shrinking when they waded through Alum Creek? After all, Kipling is
known for his great imagination.

Janet Chapple

P.S. For anyone interested: Sandy Dhuyvetter of KFMB-AM radio
(http://www.travelradio.com) interviewed me about how "Yellowstone
Treasures" was conceived and written. It will air on Sunday, April 3,
at about 8:15 am, Pacific Daylight Savings Time.