[Geysers] OF Inn article mentions Tara Cross

Cindy Rose crose61514 at wyoming.com
Fri Sep 24 11:34:35 PDT 2004

All--

What a lovely article. It captures the feeling of the Inn perfectly, even to
the reassuring clank of the front door latch.

I would have burst into tears had I heard Tara playing "Ashokan Farewell",
as I did two years ago when, as I lead my best friend into the Inn for his
first visit, George was playing "Coming Home". That wistful piece was played
at my father's funeral and it has always embodied the quiet strength of the
West and its people to me. Both pieces are appropriate to the Inn and its
setting.

The article also mentions that particular feeling that the Inn is alive
somehow, that it breathes and sighs and groans under the weight of thousands
of travelers or many tons of snow; that the water in its old boiler pipes
pumps and courses through the miles of lines like blood; that in the dim
light of the lobby as it rises up under the shaded eaves, you can almost see
the shadows of the earliest travelers as they too gazed up in childlike
wonder at the forest around and above them. When I visit for my short time
every fall, I come into the Inn's presence like I am approaching a kind
elder, whose logs wrap around me like protecting arms and whose scents and
sounds are as comforting as those of a mother's. I hug that great building
hello when I arrive, and reluctantly I hug it goodbye when I leave.

Udo or ME, thanks for sharing that beautiful article with us.

Cindy