[Geysers] Geyser report, September 11-12

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 13 12:17:58 PDT 2004

This is a somewhat patchy report on geyser activity September 11-12.

Two quick corrections to my previous report:  In talking to witnesses of the
9/9 Fan & Mortar eruption, I discovered that the water levels in the minor
vents were merely mediocre; the water levels never completely "bottomed
out."  Karen Koka reported that there was always some water in Gold Vent; it
never went into steam.

Also, I reported that the Geyser Grill is open until 8pm; actually, they now
close at 7pm.

Now, on to the news:

Beehive erupted at 1659 on the 11th and then at 0651 and 1932 on the 12th.
That made for two consecutive intervals under 13 hours.  Indicators were
15-22 minutes before Beehive.

Boardwalk erupted yesterday at 1507.

Grand intervals were ~6h42m, 6h43m, ~7h47m, ~8h25m, and 6h56m.  All
eruptions seen were either 1 or 2 bursts.  Rift is seen about once a day.

Oblong must have really lengthened out its intervals.  It had a closed
interval from 0823 to 2100ie on 9/11 and then was seen only once on 9/12.

Here are the events seen at Giant/Grotto on 9/11:

0743 Grotto start
0754 Giant hot period (d~2m)
0854 Rocket major
0930 Bathtub
1052 Giant hot period (d=7m19s).  Feather Satellite started about 5 minutes
into the hot period.  Mastiff surged to 1-2 feet 5-6 minutes into the hot
period.  India was only 1/2 covered.
1250 Grotto start
1310 Giant hot period (d~3m)
1351 Rocket major
1511 Giant hot period (d~5.5m)
1841 Grotto (preceded by ~20 minutes of activity by S. Grotto Fountain and
the Central Vents; no Grotto Fountain); this was either the 7th or 8th (the
latter is more likely) eruption since the last marathon and it turned into a
marathon.
1853 Giant hot period (d=2m43s)
2119 Giant hot period (d~9m).  This was the "biggie" we were hoping for;
Mastiff surging started early in the hot period and by 5 minutes in was 3-4
feet.  Then, somewhere around 7-8 minutes in, there was a huge surge to 6
feet.  Overflow flooded India.

On 9/12, Grotto continued to erupt until it finally quit around 1700
(marathon d~22.5 hours).  I don't know if anyone was out to look for the
post-marathon hot period, because it was raining steadily and quite cold.
Nothing had been called over the radio as of 2100.

As Scott reported, there were already events occurring at Fan & Mortar on
the morning of 9/11.  Event cycles were seen around 0930-1030, 1315-1400,
1510-1610, and ~1900.  This frequency of events resembled that seen during
the last interval.  However, on 9/12 the pace of events appeared to be less
hectic:  the only event cycles observed were at 0800-0900 and 1415-1500.
Due to rain and cold, Fan & Mortar were not observed after 1900 on the 12th.

Artemisia had an uncharacteristically long interval on hte 11th, from ~0030
(sorry, I didn't write down the time that Ralph got from the electronic
device) to 1812.  On the 12th, Artemisia probably erupted around 0500 (based
on condition of pool several hours later) and then the steam cloud was seen
at 1719ie.

A few gazers did venture out of the Upper Basin this weekend.  Scattered
reports of Great Fountain indicated 12-14 hour intervals.  Dave Whinery
reported seeing everything active in the Pink Cone group except for Pink
Cone in several hours there on 9/11.  He also reported that Fountain was in
short mode on the 11th; it was seen at 0841, 1310ie, and again during the
1600 hour (sorry, I somehow neglected to write down the time).

It seemed like a weekend full of goodbyes.  I hope everyone had a safe trip
home.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com