[Geysers] Geyser Photo Wins Nevada Tourism Contest

Pat Snyder riozafiro at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 12 12:42:02 PDT 2004

Upon returning from my wonderful trip to Yellowstone last week, I found
the latest issue of Outdoor Photographer in my mailbox. Inside are the
winners of the "Nevada: Moments in Time" Photo Contest. The Grand Prize
Winner is Ines Labunski Roberts for a picture of a geyser at Black Rock
Desert, Nevada.

I checked the Nevada tourism Website and could not find the photo
contest winners. There is a photo of the Black Rock Desert geyser (not
nearly as nice as the winner's photo) in the photo archives section,
though, at
http://www.travelnevada.com/photo_gallery.asp
Just type in geyser in the search box to see it.

The winner described her experience photographing the geyser as follows:

"When I reached the site in the Black Rock Desert, I realized the sun
was still too high to convey the geyser group in a most dramatic
interpretation on film, so I waited for nearly two hours for the right
light. There wasn't much choice from where to photograph. The land all
around the spewing geysers is boggy, laced with boiling pools and
extremely hazardous. Visitors are restricted to a primitive pathway of
logs, rocks and wobbly planks." The photo itself is nicely detailed
showing the geyser cone's gold, brown and green colors and unusual
shape. It also apparently has multiple vents.

And thanks, everyone, for the great gazing times during Labor Day week.
I had a blast and it was nice to see everyone, and meet new Gazers as
well!
Pat Snyder