[Geysers] Some non-geyser stuff

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Sep 8 17:05:14 PDT 2004

In a message dated 9/8/2004 9:21:54 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
dtaylor at weber.edu writes:
3)  While at Mud Volcano, I overheard a ranger discussing how the water there
was much newer than the water at Old Faithful, indicating that the Mud
Volcano water was only a few years old, while O.F. is closer to hundreds.  Has
anyone else heard this (not that I doubt it), and is anyone aware of what the
geology is behind the difference?

Quite simple, really. To generalize, in mud pot areas, although there
certainly is some "old," that is, deep geothermal water involved, most of the fluid
is near-surface meteoric water. This is why mud pots tend to dry out (at least
to some extent, sometimes thoroughly) as the dry summer season progresses. So
indeed, some water at Mud Volcano is in fact "brand new, 2004 water."