[Geysers] Geyser Report: West Thumb

Graham Meech meechg at erols.com
Sat Oct 16 06:52:51 PDT 2004

I think this is my last post from this years two week trip.  It was good to
meet up with friends in the park and get to meet some of the ‘later season’
gazers and new geyser addicts.

I went to West Thumb a couple of times hoping to see Hillside – I still
haven’t seen it erupt.  One day it was having cyclic overflows and then had
a really heavy overflow that was much stronger than I had seen before but it
did not erupt them or in the following 1 ½ hours.

On 10/8 I went and watched Lakeshore which was refilling with vigorous
boiling in the cone.  I watched it slowly refill for 2h 20m before Lakeshore
had a small eruption, height 2-3’, d=2m.  The pressure pool did not erupt at
all (which it had done weakly last year).  So Lakeshore was active although
infrequent and not very big.

While waiting for Lakeshore I saw Lone Pine in the distance have its major
eruption at 0959 and then saw it have a minor at 1116ie.  Occasional kept
putting up steam clouds although I did not stop to watch it.

Twin had water but was pretty cold and nothing else looked very active in
the West Thumb Geyser Basin boardwalk area.

See you all next year, Graham Meech.