[Geysers] thermal burns on Firehole Drive

eydgrigg at att.net eydgrigg at att.net
Tue Oct 12 10:36:45 PDT 2004

I drove by and looked at the site. There was significant damage to the resource in this incident. The individual was on the geysers shield and broke through the formation about a foot from the geysers vent distroying a section of the unusually patterned shield. The new opening has thermal water and is steaming. He was over thirty feet off of the end of the boardwalk which is marked with one of the old style warning signs.  Last I knew he(and his friend) had only been charged with going off of the boardwalk but there would be a potential for resource damage charges. The only "good news" is that the damage will not be obvious to the general public as it might appear to just be another opening in the sinter. The bad news is that a section of unique sinter has been destroyed with the potential of changing the features eruptions. DG   PS: I am just back home from the park and it was a great visitin spite having missed the "big stuff".  dg