[Geysers] Echrinus Geyser

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Oct 6 12:02:32 PDT 2004

In a message dated 10/6/2004 1:06:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time, nedjan at ida.net
writes:
I was wondering if anyone had any information on what has changed Echrinus
so much. -- snip--  The time between eruptions has lengthened.

You tell us! ... What's especially fascinating, to me, is how the activity
this year (especially from about early July to mid August) was what might best
be called cyclic. There would be a few eruptions at intervals of a few hours,
then an interval as great as 40 hours and more, so that the time from long
interval eruption to the next long interval eruption was remarkably regular (range
approximately 68 to 81 hours, average right about 75 hours). With the long
intervals, at least, Echinus could overflow quite heavily but with minimal
bubbling for many hours.. To speculate, perhaps the color change is due to
something like the crater holding water for a longer time... or to the overall average
temperature of the pool being lower... or the water supply has changes...
or.......

And do remember that back in the days when Allen and Day were studying things
(70+ years ago), Echinus was apparently rather weak and infrequent.