[Geysers] About Geyser Noir

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 12:40:48 PST 2004

Having just received the Sput, I am reminded of something that I maight have
posted before. But I think doing so again won't hurt anything. The "new",
briefly active geyser near "Rediscovered Geyser" at Norris certainly is "new" as a
historically known geyser. However, it does bear an informal name that, in my
opinion, bears priority.

This is "Forgotten Fumarole", so named at least as early as the late-1970s
(but sometime after 1974) at the same time that Rediscovered and some others
were given names. That was in the days when Fred Hirschmann was stationed at
Norris and (wisely, I suppose) replaced such names as "Hodie's Hole" with Dabble,
"Butch" with Orby, "Scottie's Spouter" with Rediscovered, and so on.
(Fortunately, I don't think he changed "Pfred's Pfanstasic Pfumarole", though.)

So black water or no, 't isn't Geyser Noir. Sorry.