[Geysers] Geyser report August 26

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Aug 26 14:48:36 PDT 2004

This report will be quite short.

Fan and Mortar erupted sometime last night -- the marker was found missing at
08:00. Based on weak recovery activity (some Main Vent splashes, blurbling by
Bottom Vent well short of overflow, River Vent trying but not quite turning
on, and no hint of a true cycle), my guess (only a guess) is that the eruption
took place at about midnight, maybe a little before then. This all makes an
interval of a bit more than 4 1/2 days.

Grotto was in marathon, and as of about 08:00 had been for quite a while --
Variable Spring was well down, bubbling strongly and turning murky, Marathon
Pool was dropping and bubbling, and Bijou was all but off.

Elsewhere, from electronic time to eruption at 13:07, Grand's interval was 7h
53m to a G1Q.

Beehive has, apparently (pending electronic data), had some longer intervals
-- which, by the way, fits the pattern shown since April (it "should" have had
longer intervals around August 22). From August 22 to 23 was an apparent
interval of 23h 08m. Following that is a 34-hour gap (per OFVC logbook), then
today an interval of 21h 49m. (Since it went at 13:49 yesterday afternoon and was
already having good splashes before 08:00 this morning, I'm rather sure it did
not erupt in the interim -- and 21:49 would be amazingly short for a double
interval.)

Bronze Spring was active this morning. The last time that happened, Plume
started up the next day. But that is NOT a prediction!

Beyond that, other geysers were seen, of course, but no intervals, no
patterns.

The weather, by the way, is lousy wet. And cold. Though there was some
sunshine at Old Faithful and (blessedly) little wind, today's high at my house in
West has been 39. For the Labor Day crowd soon to come, it is supposed to be
pretty nice on Saturday through Monday, then get cruddy again. Admittedly, 10-day
weather forcasts are prone to error, but AccuWeather includes snow in their
prediction for next Thursday, 9/2.