[Geysers] Geyser report August 24

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Aug 24 15:07:15 PDT 2004

This was a chilly, very windy day, so I spent little time in the Firehole
Basins. Before tht, I visited Norris to do some miscellaneous double-checks on
things. Not much to report there, either, but this:

Steamboat was the weakest I've seen this year. The action was almost entirely
south vent, and then brief and never more than about half as high as the
background trees (as viewed from the lower platform).

Echinus, which some rumors have going as long as several days between
eruptions, was overflowing a considerable volume but only barely bubbling.

Mystic Spring is still active.

Since I was last there, the water level in Yellow Funnel has risen 3 or 4 f
(or more) feet, and some muddy brown splashes were several feet high. With
that, however, things that normally are clear water springs (clear in Norris
terms, that is) were clear today. This includes Mud Spring, the Hydrophane Springs,
Porkchop and etc. In other words, definitely  o sign of any disturbances.

In Porcelain Basin, the _only_  geyser I can identify by name that saw erupt
was Guardian. The only.

Bigger news, maybe -- although it was chilly (probably only in the low-40s;
it was 29 in West Y an 1 1/2 hours earlier) -- I could see four decent-sized
steam clouds rising from the unnamed therma area west of Norris. The one
farthest north -- more or less where the explosive mud pots formed in the early 1980s
and, therefore, near the site of the former(?) most significant geyser there
-- was by far the largest and distinctly intermittent. So methinks something
is going on there.

In the UGB, it tells little but the marker left at Green Spring on Saturday
morning (and still in place that afternoon) is gone.

Penta had a steam phase eruption during a system deep drain. This one had the
main vent almost nothing but steam while the smaller vents around the cone
splashes 1 to 2 feet high and put off considerable runoff. he eruption started
at 09:54. It ended at 10:17, less than 1 minute after Sawmill started playing
from a very low pool. About 1 1/2 hours later, at 11:43, Uncertain erupted.

Oblong was at 10:36 and had to be the weakest Oblong I can remember. Strong
wind, yes, but it certainly got no higher than 10 feet and had a duration of
less than 5 minutes.

The thing across the river from Oblong is still erupting.

After the previous short intervals, Fan and Mortar had not gone as of about
13:00 today, meaning an interval of 3d 3h and counting. Giant hasn't gone,
either.

In the LGB, I saw almost nothing. But I can say that Fountain's wild phase
came to an end at some time between late Saturday and today -- I didn't check to
see if the end of the wild phase is known. Today at about 09:00 Fountain's
pool was extremely low, with water barely visible from the overlook (same low
level in Morning). Water in the small catch basins near the boardwalk was stone
cold at that time. I therefore suspect that there was no eruption between then
and when I saw it in eruption at 13:28.