[Geysers] Queen's Laundry

thedulcimerlady at juno.com thedulcimerlady at juno.com
Sat Aug 21 14:22:44 PDT 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:24:44 EDT TSBryan at aol.com writes:
In a message dated 8/20/2004 3:52:08 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
thedulcimerlady at juno.com writes:

The route to Queen's Laundry is straightforward, really. Do this. Drive
to the end of Fountain Flats Drive and hike along the old road to Ojo
Caliente Spring. Cross the bridge. Directly on the opposite side of the
river from Ojo Caliente is the trailhead for the Sentinel Meadow trail.
Take it. Keep going. Go all the way, past the other springs (Mound,
Steep, Iron Pot).

This last part goes along the hill just south of these features, yes?

The trail will curve toward the south. At that point either 1) cut
straight across the grassy meadow -- probably pretty dry at this season
-- or 2) continue the trail a bit more until you reach another that
branches sharply back to the nnorthwest.

Ugh!  I remember seeing the place where the NW trail merged in.  It was
right after some "sand traps" on the trail.  I pondered taking it on my
first try, but didn't.  Ah, the road less travelled.  But maybe we'll cut
across.

Take it and it goes directly to Queen's Laundry, and Norris's bath house.

Put another way -- if you can find Sentinel Meadow (no hill climbing
needed or recommended), then Queen's Laundry is simply the farthest
spring in from the road.

Got it now.  Thanks, Scott.  We're going Thursday, weather permitting, if
anyone else would like to join us.  See me at OFI on Wed., next to the
fireplace.

Lucille Reilly