[Geysers] Dark Skies at Old Faithful

Ralph Taylor ralpht at iglou.com
Sat Aug 21 10:41:48 PDT 2004

>From Ralph Taylor Friday 20 August 2004

At the July NPS/Geyser Gazer meeting Craig McClure noted that a lot of work
had been done to reduce the amount of light directed out into the geyser
basin.  The lights in around the Inn and Lodge have been replaced or
shielded, for example.

One point that has been noted as a problem area is the new lights at the
lower gas station, which are blinding as seen from the geyser basin.
Another point that has been noted is that the old lights along the concrete
walk from the Inn to the Lodge were useful and did not blind people in the
basin, but were vandalized.

If there are any other lighting comments, especially those affecting Dark
Skies issues (that is, the ability to see the stars, aurora, and other night
sky phenomena without interference from artificial light sources) please
either email me directly or post on the list and I will get the comments to
the NPS.

Ralph Taylor