[Geysers] Some interesting observations after this week's data logger downloads

Ralph Taylor ralpht at iglou.com
Sun Aug 15 21:25:50 PDT 2004

>From Ralph Taylor Sunday 15 August 2004

I have updated the geyser stats on the GOSA website at the usual URL:

http://www.geyserstudy.org/electronic_summary_2004.htm

I am analyzing this week's results as I write this, so it may be a little
incoherent at places.

The last Plume eruption was at 02:22 on 10 August.  The intervals began to
lengthen early on the 8th.

"Scuba" (the erupting vent in the Spume and Spew crater uphill from Plume)
had an initial eruption 78 minutes before Plume's first eruption of the
recent activation.  It continued to erupt at about six hour intervals (not
in synchrony with Plume) until 0440 on 6 August.  There may have been three
other eruptions coincident with Plume eruptions (or maybe not, the
temperature record is ambiguous), the last at 2310 on 7 August.

Little Cub is having almost nightly pauses.  When we were downloading this
morning we noticed preplay-type splashing lasting for many minutes, and a
heavy flow of water from a horizontal fracture in the sinter several feet
southwest of the cone.  Could some of Little Cub's energy and water supply
be escaping this way?  Lion's intervals remained normal.

Aurum is well into its summer mode with some longer than 12 hour intervals
recently.

Beehive continues to erupt at about 15 hour intervals (with a range from
under 12 hours to nearly 17 hours last week).

Daisy had a 6h26m interval between 0951 and 1617 on 7 August.  Really.

Castle is having its minors in clusters about one day a week.  The past two
weeks had instances of consecutive minors.

Grand continues to shorten its intervals.  The August median interval is
6h44m as of 15 August.  The shortest interval was 6h13m, up from 6h05m in
June and July, but both the mean and median are dropping steadily.  The
prediction window is just three hours now.

Giant hot periods continue, but no eruption since 2 August yet.

Ralph Taylor