[Geysers] Geyser Report Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 17:21:29 PDT 2016

Geyser Report Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Today was to be the last "scorcher" of a day, and windy.  It seems the wind
will be coming later.  I had a 50 degree temp change, mid 30's to mid 80's,
somewhat relieved by a lovely breeze.  Fires 300mi N of Yellowstone have
sent smoke out way the past week, giving us great sunrises.  The smoke
earlier in the week was blown away in 1/2 an hour when the wind changed,
leaving us clear blue skies, at least for a while.  The smoke so far has
not been a breathing hazard.  Temps are expected to fall about 15 degrees
to normal for the season.

The chip sealing from Madison to Old Faithful seems to be complete with the
road painting done this week.  Hopefully the speed limits will be restored
soon.

Today was spent at Artemisia, which erupted at 0924 with some very tall
bursts. It was reported ie at 1125 yesterday.  Atomizer had a 35 second
minor at 0845, a couple of minutes of wide, 1-2 foot high splashing (not
boiling) at 0900, then nothing more until a 1247 minor (30 seconds).  The
3rd minor was at 1409 (45 seconds), followed by the major at 1415.   About
the time I had walked back to Biscuit Basin, Fan and Mortar had an event
cycle--the only one I heard called today.  There was no quick way to exit
Biscuit in the jam of traffic looking for parking.

Elk are reappearing in the meadows along the West Entrance.  A deer was in
the young trees near Atomizer briefly until the major began, when she
scooted over the bank toward the river.  A pair of herons flew past while I
waited this AM.  Otters have been reported in the river below Lion, but I
haven't seen them.  A group of bison in the meadow N of Fountain yesterday
resulted in a long traffic backup that lasted all morning.

Barbara Lasseter