[Geysers] Observations of Ledge from 9:30 PM 7/29/15 to 8 AM 7/31/15

Barrett Southworth bsouthworth at cableone.net
Fri Jul 31 12:29:19 PDT 2015

-Ledge Observations upon arrival at 9:30 pm 7/29/15-
Lets say there are 5 vents related to Ledge.
Main - the one by Jetsam Pool because it used to be the near main
erupting vent and I don't like the name thumb.
White, Red, Pressure and Finger since the only left is the little finger
so I'll drop little.
Jetsam Pool has three distinct small puddles.
Pressure Pool is very low
Red and Main are inactive.
White is splashing occasionally briefly than just steam for rest of the
spurt.
Finger is only boiling
Black Growler? Has a constant variance and no change of pattern over
next 24 hours yielding a constant water overflow.
-Changes that occur in order-
Jetsam Pool has small water increase, enough to turn the three puddles
into one connected puddle, without any water flowing from surface. Then
it no longer increases at all on it’s own.
White spurts become more frequent with time
White spurts have more water from start to finish ratio with time.
White Height of Water spurt increases with time.
Finger starts changes a little while after White does, they finish at
about same time.
Finger starts having occasional spurts into Pressure Pool.
Finger leads with greater boiling followed with stronger spurting,
repeteadly.
<Might these be associated with Pressure Pool Level?>
Then at the same time they both become constant water spouters.
After a few hours they both cease to be constant water spouters.
<This could also be due to Pressure Pool Level?>
At same time, Main started splashing at depth and steaming.
Given How much Pressure Pool rose during the constant Spurting Phase,
after it ends. During the next 1 to 2 hours. The volume increase of
water per unit time increases in Pressure Pool, while the Surface flow
of water volume into Pressure Pool decreases per unit time.
<Someone said Pressure Pool’s vent was sealed. Given this behavior, I
think it more likely that Pressure Pool blew out its ability to be a
geyser and became a spring>
After Main splashing grows stronger for a while, Red starts Splashes
out, and Main stops growing in strength as fast.
At first these Splashes in Red are frequent and growing stronger.
Red splashes become less frequent and stay same strength. Main becomes
more frequent and stronger with depth splashes, and more Steam from it.
White Spurt frequency and strength drops.
After a while of this, it goes back to Red splashing frequently and
growing stronger. With White going back to what it was.
Again Red splashes become less frequent and stay same strength. Main
becomes more frequent and stronger with depth splashes, and more Steam
from it. White Spurt frequency and strength drops.
Then Main becomes independent of Red/White.
With Red sometimes being frequent, sometimes infrequent, still growing
stronger with time.
Pressure pool increases to near overflow and Red starts to really grow
stronger.
Pressure pool starts overflow into Jetsam Pool.
Jetsam has occasional waves coinciding with near surface and surface
splashes of Main directly next to it.
Red continues to grow stronger over time until are requirements for
eruption are met.
Except Red fails to do its constant thing that leads to an eruption.
<Ledge event starts at 9:40 PM 7/30/15 No clue what to name it>
at 9:40 Black Growler? Geyser directly upslope become very active with
steam and water output, greater than previous 24 hours.
at 9:40 Main started a noticeable continous flow out, at the same time
White started a mild roaring steam jet that had some water 1/5th of the
time Duration was 8 to 60 seconds with intervals of 1 to 8 seconds.
prefering the 8 - 10 second bursts that when it had water only had water
for a couple seconds, with intervals of 1 to 2 seconds for 7.5 hours.
Over a period of 4 hours it reached it's max volume based on distance to
parking lot and it being said it could be heard there, I'd say the max
volume was around half that as I've been near some loud geysers
20 to 40 minutes after main started it's overflow, red started a
noticeable overflow
20 to 40 minutes after that both red and main had a very noticeable
increase in overflow
20 to 40 minutes after that Pressure started to increase overflow to
reach the base of white.
It took 20 to 40 minutes to reach it's max overflow.
20 to 40 minutes after that Jetsam pool overflowed due to the inflow of
water 10 to 20 minutes after that finger started overflowing
At this point shining multiple flashlights on White I see a 1 to 2 inch
ring minimum of water around it. This ring was around for at least 10
minutes
<What I thought happened and what likely was>
<At first I thought the rear of white's dome was the same height as the
base of the front, learning it wasn't. I think it likely the source of
water for the top half of white vents mound was from the higher slope
overflow>
that is max overflow at finger overflow, it laster 30 to 60 minutes then
reduced severly in strength for the remaining hours. White reached it's
max volume after max overflow ended. Total duration of overflow period
is 7.5 hours. Half strength steam phase based on comparison to youtube
videos of steam phase lasts about 20 minutes.
Status of ledge when I left at 8 am
Jetsam pool was very full. Pressure was near overflow. Red was dead,
what I called main was splashing constantly and visibly to surface.
White had occasional water spurts. Finger was boiling and spurting into
Pressure Pool. Black Growler? is inactive