[Geysers] Brief Report

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 7 18:44:11 PDT 2015

At least one "series" of Oblong eruptions has been seen recently, with an interval of about 30 minutes between the two sightings.  In the past Oblong series had generally had intervals of about 2 1/2 to 3 hours between the first and second eruption, and intervals of about 30 minutes between subsequent eruptions.  I am here in Yellowstone without access to very much of a research library, other than what's available on the internet, and the current edition of Scott's book.  Perhaps someone who would like to research past issues of The Sput to provide a more detailed history of Oblong's behavior when it was having series and post it here on the listserv or send it into Genean for publication in The Sput?

Gemini had a slightly different series early this afternoon with an interval between the initial and the next eruption of 17 minutes.

At least two features in the Tangled Creek Group are active.  One is a small spouter at the north end of an orange oblong shaped spot out in the meadow.  The other is sometimes a splasher, splashing up about 3 feet or so.  At other times it pushes a column of water up maybe 8-10 feet.  Both types of eruptions do not have a sudden end.  Although I think this second feature may be in about the correct position of UNNG-TGG-1, the nature is the eruption is not the same as eruptions I have seen from UNNG-TGG-1 in previous years.

Old Cone (LGB) was active on the morning of July 4.  When I first saw it, the pool from which it was erupting was full and there was runoff going down the southwest end of the mound.  About an hour later when I walked past again, Old Cone was still erupting, but the water level had dropped down about 4-6 inches and the eruption was not creating any overflow.

Wildlife--the other morning I saw two porcupines on Firehole Lake Drive.  One was standing up on its hind legs eating white flowers.

Visitor comments:  Yesterday afternoon while I waiting out the hail storm from the safety of the Museum at Norris, a young boy, maybe 9-11 years old, was grinning from ear to ear, proudly showing everyone the white spot on his T-shirt, and announcing "I got pooped on; I got pooped on; I got pooped on!"

Lynn Stephens