[Geysers] Dwarfs on Geyser Hill

Stjohn, James stjohn.2 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 28 00:08:44 PDT 2015

Several months ago, there was a discussion about naming or not naming the Dwarfs on Geyser Hill.

I've put together a bit of a map showing the location of vents in the Dwarfs as of mid-August 2015, to serve as a baseline.  The links below are to 4 flickr images - the 1st and 3rd are unlabeled satellite images of the Dwarfs (Landsat satellite image via Google Earth).  The 2nd and 4th are labeled.  The slightly low resolution of the available satellite image was of concern, but I did not mark a vent unless I was absolutely sure of its location.

The captions below the 2nd and 4th images at flickr have descriptions of all the mapped vents, as of mid-August 2015.  The names are obviously unofficial - they are proposals only.  They could be used as informal reference labels for geyser watchers recording activities.

North Dwarf Geyser seems to be the only uncontested name so far.  As I recall, someone mentioned that the feature called "Red Dwarf Geyser" is now gone.  So, the prominent perpetual spouter with the orangish-brown, raised geyserite rim is here called "Orange Dwarf Geyser".  A hole in the southern part of the cluster that is somewhat close to the boardwalk is here called "South Dwarf Geyser" - I suspect it was the erupter that someone witnessed on the Old Faithful webcam a while back - at the time, it was described as "close to the boardwalk".  Using sightlines from the webcam, I suspect it's the South Dwarf Geyser vent.

Following what has been done at Terra Cotta Geysers, all other vents in the Dwarfs are here labeled West Dwarf A to J.  Some have water and some don't (apparently - uncertainty is present due to some vents being mostly obscured from boardwalk viewing).

I plan on posting photos of each vent, as additional visual references.  School has just started up for me, so teaching may delay those plans just a bit (I have to get screen captures from the videos I took of each vent).

1st image (unlabeled) - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsjgeology/20322917173<https://www.flickr.com/photos/jsjgeology/20322917173>
2nd image (labeled) - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsjgeology/20951339781<https://www.flickr.com/photos/jsjgeology/20951339781>
3rd image (unlabeled) - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsjgeology/20322910803
4th image (labeled) - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsjgeology/20322908263

If you're not familiar with flickr, clicking on each image will magnify it.
Each image is freely downloadable (use one of the icons in the lower right corner).

Feel free to discuss/comment, etc.

Best,

James St. John (Geology, Ohio State University at Newark)

stjohn.2 at osu.edu