[Geysers] Things I've learned recently

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 7 18:00:35 PDT 2014

I'll try to write up a trip report for the August Sput.  In the meantime, here's a couple tidbits:

If you arrive at the Fountain Complex, and discover that Fountain has already erupted, but Twig is still erupting, hang around a little while.  If you get the end of Twig,  back the time up 75 minutes to get a close approximation of the Fountain start time.  Then, if you've never heard a Twig steam phase, you might want to hang around a couple more minutes to hear the "lady-like" (Bill Warnock's term) steam phase.

Based on two closed intervals, Till's average interval is just about double Fountain's average interval.  I haven't gotten very many data points on Till because Till and Fountain cycles are in synch and I haven't been willing to give up very many Fountain eruptions.

Pink Cone's intervals have varied from about 17-18 hours to over 25 hours.

On June 26 Cassidy, Connor, and I noted that the energy had shifted from Beauty to Chromatic.

Lynn Stephens