[Geysers] Upper Geyser Basin update

Bell, Catherine cathy_bell at nps.gov
Thu Jan 23 11:08:37 PST 2014

Hi all,

We've received a number of questions about a couple of recent geyser times
entered on geysertimes.org.  As many of you noticed, Grand's "2003E" time
from Jan. 21 was entered incorrectly (it would have reflected a 4 h 3 m
interval, if it had been right); Landis and I went back to the data and
I've corrected this entry to 2203E on 1/21.  Geysertimes now reflects this
change.

I've also had a couple of phone calls questioning whether a minor eruption
we reported on Jan. 21, 2014 at 0608E was really a minor.  I've attached
the scan of the graph we downloaded from the logger.

Castle has been having many more minor eruptions than it did at the
beginning of the winter season.  We also had back-to-back minors on Jan. 16.

We were happy to see a number of gazers in the basin in the last week.  The
weather continues to be unseasonably warm and we haven't had significant
snowfall in about ten days.  We did have sufficiently heavy snow on Jan. 11
that we were unable to see an eruption of Old Faithful at 1518, a minute or
two before the prediction window.

I'm sure you are all aware that the live webcam is up and running again.

I'm heading off to Lamar Valley for a Yellowstone Association Institute
course.  I'll be back in the middle of next week.

--
Cathy Bell
Park Ranger