[Geysers] Dwarfs

Udo Freund udofreund317 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 08:43:52 PST 2014

I’ll play devil’s advocate, just for giggles.

First, define “semblance of permanency” and “long-term-existence”.

Second, a feature or features have been continuously active in that area since 1972 according to every edition of Scott’s book. That’s certainly a semblance of permanency IMO. Of course, the problem here is that without them being named we don’t know which hole or more than one hole has been active since 1972.

Third, we all know that many geysers get active or go dormant for some period of time. Names seem to be applied arbitrarily, some to features that no longer exist. Semi-Centennial and Gibbon Hill come to mind as examples. Others were active for one year in our lifetime, ex: Fantail.

So what’s the big deal with not wanting to name these? Is it because they are little? Tiny and Anthill are among many small features that have names and have a history of inactivity. I advocate naming the Dwarfs, at the very least informally, so we know which ones we’re discussing and recording for history.

Thanks,
Udo Freund
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  --Will Rogers